Can you believe that 2018 is almost here? The new year is just around the corner! During New Year’s Eve, there will be tons of people celebrating by spending time with their families or hanging out in Downtown Orlando. Whatever you decide to do to ring in the new year, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be aware when you’re on the road.
That’s because New Year’s Eve can be a dangerous night when it comes to drunk driving. Our team at Toyota of Orlando wants to make sure you’re safe this weekend. That’s why we’ve put together some tips on how to spot drunk driving, and how to react to it.
Learn how to spot drunk driving
You may be wondering what exactly you need to look out for when it comes to drunk driving. Here are some major things to look out for:
- Swerving or drifting in and out of lanes
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or driving along the dividing line
- Driving more than 10mph under the speed limit
- Tailgating or driving aggressively
- Almost hitting objects and other cars on the road or parked on the side
- Delayed reactions at traffic lights and stop signs
- Not using their headlights or turn signals
- Excessive reactions like hard braking, accelerating, or sudden sharp turns
When you realize that someone is drunk driving, there are some important steps to take to ensure your safety and the safety of others on the road.
- Don’t try to approach them. This could result in an accident or other aggressive behavior. So even if you want to get them to pull over, we recommend staying clear of them and using your defensive driving skills.
- Be sure to take notice of specific features of the vehicle they are driving. What’s the make and model? Is it older or newer? What color is it? You should also pay attention to things like unique markers like accident damages and bumper stickers. If you can get their license plate number, that’s even more help!
- Before calling the authorities, make sure to pull over in a safe spot. Once you do, call 911 and tell them you have spotted a drunk driver in Orlando. They’ll connect you with an officer. Don’t forget to give the dispatcher all the information you can about the area such as street names and which direction the car was headed.
For this New Year’s, we want to make sure you’re driving safe in Orlando. If you or someone you know is intoxicated…DON’T DRIVE. Make sure to designate a driver ahead of time, or use a can or ride-sharing service.
Would you like more safe driving tips or even some suggestions for a safer ride? Call Toyota of Orlando today at (407) 298-4500.