If you were a fan of playing with Tonka trucks as a child, get ready to have your adult dreams comes true – Toyota has unveiled a life-size Tonka truck in Australia! This concept version of the globally popular Toyota HiLux pickup truck is ready to hit the sand (box?) thanks to some stylish modifications and major performance upgrades. Toyota of Orlando has the scoop!
Would you take this Toyota HiLux concept for a spin?
The Toyota HiLux – the global version of the Orlando Toyota Tacoma – is already a popular option for off-road enthusiasts and adrenaline junkies. However, the Tonka concept version of this much-loved truck takes things to a whole new level. Toyota designed it to commemorate the 80th global anniversary of their brand, as well as the 70th anniversary of Tonka trucks. Here are some of the highlights that this rough-and-ready concept is bringing to the table:
- It’s a modified 2016 SR5 Double Cab HiLux truck – like we said, a global best-seller and a best-seller in Australia
- It has a 2.8L 4-cylinder turbo-diesel engine for an adaptable and powerful performance
- It’s been jacked up a good six inches for a seriously impressive stance
- It’s designed with off-road adventures in mind, so Toyota decided to include features like a snorkel, a light bar, a heavy-duty suspension system for superior handling, and 35″ tires
- It’s also packing upgraded axels, 6mm thick skid plates, tow hooks, and additional vents in the hood
- Its paint job reflects the original Tonka truck with a bright yellow hue and contrasting black accents; it’s also showcasing large fender flares that not only stop mud and dirt from coming off the tires, but also look pretty awesome
- The rear showcases a new tailgate with venting to increase aerodynamics
- The bed is functional despite the playful attitude of the concept – it has tube framing, as well as extra fuel cans, an axe, a shovel, a high-lift jack, and a fire extinguisher (important off-road supplies)
Unfortunately, it won’t be coming to the US anytime soon. It’s being showcased in Australia, and will be touring the country (but hey, this is a great excuse to hit the Outback if you’ve been meaning to plan a vacation).
Get off the pavement in the Orlando Toyota Tacoma
We may not have Tonka trucks here at Toyota of Orlando, but we do have a great off-road option – the Toyota Tacoma. This best-selling Orlando Toyota truck is one of the most popular compact truck options on the market, and we know we can help you find the perfect one for your drive time needs. Here’s what’s up for grabs at our dealership right now – the 2017 Toyota Tacoma is available in six models:
- TRD Sport
- TRD Off-Road
- TRD Pro
And not only that, it’s available in both manual and automatic transmissions, as well as two cab styles and with two different engine options. You can customize to your heart’s content!
Come take the 2017 Toyota Tacoma for a spin at Toyota of Orlando. We’re just off I-4 near the Millenia Mall at 3575 Vineland Road!