Have you set your new year’s resolution and started working on it? Even if you have, there’s still plenty of time to add a new one to the list – quitting your bad habit of texting while driving. Texting while you’re behind the wheel of a car is extremely dangerous; here are some quick facts just to give you an idea of why dropping this habit is a good idea:
- 9 Americans are killed every day because of distracted driving – which includes texting.
- In 2013, over 340,000 crashes occurred because of people texting behind the wheel.
- On average, you take your eyes off the road for five seconds while texting. It may not seem like much, but when you’re moving at high speeds a lot can occur in five seconds.
- Using a cell phone while in the driver’s seat makes you four times more likely to get into an accident.
Texting while driving puts EVERYONE in danger
See what we mean? You put yourself, your passengers, and everyone else on the road in a lot of danger when you decide to text while driving. Luckily, our Orlando Toyota dealership has safety tips to help you kick the habit and make 2017 the year you integrated more safety into your drive time!
Use our Orlando Toyota safety tips when behind the wheel
How can you stop texting while driving? Here are some Toyota of Orlando tips you can work into your drive time:
- Put your phone out of sight and on silent. If you can’t see it or hear it alerting you to text messages, you’ll be a lot less tempted to pick it up and use it. Kudos if you can also put it somewhere you can’t easily reach it, so you’re even less tempted!
- If you can’t have your phone on silent because of emergency calls that might come through, still stash it away… but use your Bluetooth wireless streaming to take those phone calls. Our Orlando Toyota cars come with this feature, which allows you to stream your phone calls and use handy buttons mounted on your steering wheel OR voice commands to take them. You can keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel at all times and still answer your phone!
- Download an app that locks your phone while your car is in motion. This will prevent you not only from texting, but also from surfing the web and using other apps while you’re driving.
- Remind yourself that you’re setting an example. Kids often emulate what they see their parents doing, so if you’re texting while driving, they’ll think it’s OK for them to do it, too.
- If you absolutely have to answer a text message, pull over into an parking lot or a gas station and put your car in park before you unlock your phone. Be sure you’ve sent your reply and put your phone away again before leaving.
Want to learn more about the cool safety technology our new Toyota cars in Orlando have? Give us a call at (888) 725-3520, or just swing by and see them at 3575 Vineland Road. We’re open seven days a week until 10pm!