Orlando isn’t really known for its White Christmas. In fact, plenty of snow owls travel down here for the winter to avoid the snow and the cold. But the opposite is also true! If you’re heading north this holiday season in search of some snow, we want to help you stay safe on your journey. Driving on snow and ice can be tricky, so your friends at Toyota of Orlando are sharing safe driving tips for your icy travels. Let’s get started, shall we?
Safe driving tips for icy roads:
1. Clear up your car. If you leave your car in the snow overnight, be sure to remove ice and snow from all of the windows and lights, hood and roof, before driving. Also be sure to check that your car has enough antifreeze, that your have windshield washer fluid, and that your tires and battery are in working order. If not, stop by our Orlando Toyota service center for car maintenance!
2. Drive slowly. Whether you’re accelerating, decelerating, or turning, nothing happens as quickly on ice as it does on dry pavement. Give yourself ample time and space between vehicles by driving slowly to avoid skids that can cause an accident. And be sure to practice Orlando Toyota defensive driving techniques.
3. Don’t power up hills in the snow. Hitting your pedal on snow-covered roads will get your wheels spinning. Instead get some inertia before you reach the hill and let that carry you upwards. Once you reach the crest of the hill, slow down and go downhill as slowly as you can.
3. Be extra cautious on bridges and overpasses. Bridges are exposed to air on all surfaces, so they accumulate snow and ice faster than normal roadways. Always slow down significantly when approaching a bridge, then proceed with the utmost caution.
4. Don’t use cruise control. It’s almost second nature to use cruise control when you’re on a highway in Orlando. It keeps you from speeding and leg fatigue! But it can be very unsafe during snowy winter conditions because if your car skids, it will accelerate to try to keep a steady speed, and you could lose control of your vehicle.
5. Pull over or stay home. This might very well be one of the most important safe driving tips we share for your trip out of Orlando! If at any point during your trip the conditions seem too bad to keep driving, don’t! If you’re on the road already, find a safe place to stop and stay put. If you haven’t left the house yet, stay at home until the weather improves. It’s better to be late than to not make it at all.
Toyota of Orlando wishes you a safe journey!
We hope these driving safety tips from our Orlando Toyota dealership help you get to where you’re going safe and sound! If you happen to need auto service before your winter trip, give us a call or stop by and see us. We’re located at 3575 Vineland Road.
From all of us at Toyota of Orlando, Happy Holidays!