Are you thinking about getting out of town this fall? Lots of people do – it’s the perfect time to find cooler weather and fall foliage, not to mention take a long weekend to spend Thanksgiving with out-of-town family and friends. However, driving in the fall isn’t nearly the same as driving in the summer (which is pretty much all year in Florida). Our Orlando Toyota dealership has advice for you on how to handle fall road trips with safe driving tips straight from our knowledgeable sales associates!
Deal with the changing seasons like a pro with Toyota of Orlando tips
First, we’ve got some Toyota of Orlando tips for dealing with the change in the light:
- Remember, the days are shorter because Daylight Savings Time comes to an end. This means a lot of your commute might be in the dark on a day-to-day basis, so ensure you know how to drive safely in the dark (use your headlights, drive cautiously, and put your defensive driving skills to use).
- Watch out for sun glare – it can be pretty intense during these shorter days. Our Toyota of Orlando dealership recommends using sunglasses regularly, as well as putting your sun visors to use so the glare doesn’t impede your visibility.
Adjust your driving habits in the fall with our safe driving information
Next, let’s talk about driving habits in the fall! Safe driving when you’re behind the wheel during this spectacular season includes:
- Be careful of your speed and how quickly you brake and accelerate, as well as how you make turns and change lanes. The roads get slippery when they’re covered in dead leaves, and you don’t want to lose traction because you’re moving too quickly. You’ll also want to leave a bit more distance between you and the car in front of you so you have more space and time to come to a stop if need be (the leaves might cause you to slide a little if you have to hit the brakes suddenly).
- Brush up on driving in the rain! Precipitation tends to increase in the fall, which means you need to put your wipers and headlights to use and adjust your driving habits for slippery surfaces. Also be aware of frost the further north you go – you can slide out when you hit a patch! Finally, be ready for fog – it happens a lot more in autumn. Don’t use your brights; simply turn your normal headlights on and drive carefully, pulling over it need be!
- Watch out for animals crossing the road – did you know that deer breed in the fall AND are more active during the season? This means they can be crossing the road when you’re behind the wheel, which can be very dangerous. Use your defensive driving skills to be on the alert!
Finally, make sure your car is up to date on seasonal car service for the fall as part of your safe driving practices. This means having your tires, brakes, headlights, wipers, and fluids inspected to ensure your ride can handle the change in weather AND the highway driving. You can do it at our Toyota Service Center in Orlando for an affordable cost – just call us today at (866) 945-0493!