Have you been considering taking things off the pavement? It’s not as simple as just turning your steering wheel and heading to your new destination – driving on different terrains actually takes a little bit of extra knowledge and skill, as well as some prep for your Orlando Toyota! Today we’re here to talk to you about driving in different terrains and how you can safely and efficiently take it on… so let’s take a closer look at a few of the terrains you’re likely to encounter if you head off-road in Central Florida!
Learn how to drive off the pavement with Toyota of Orlando tips
Sand: You’ll have a lot of chances to drive on sand when you live in Central Florida – not only can you take your Orlando Toyota to New Smyrna Beach and Daytona Beach and drive alongside the ocean, you’ll also find that a lot of the off-road trails in the state have sandy patches in them. Driving in sand isn’t the easiest thing in the world, so here are some Toyota of Orlando tips:
- Prep your car by letting air out of the tires – this will increase their surface area, so they’ll have better grip, traction, and performance in general. It’ll also help prevent you from sinking into the sand as much. However, don’t forget to pump the PSI back up when you hit the pavement again – driving on flat tires on a hard surface will reduce both fuel efficiency and traction. Ask our Toyota service techs in Orlando if you don’t know what PSI levels to utilize!
- Don’t slam on your gas or brakes, and avoid making sharp turns when driving on this type of terrain. Any of those sharp, sudden movements can cause your tires to lose grip and you run the risk of getting stuck in the sand.
- If you do find yourself stuck, don’t panic, don’t accelerate hard (you’ll dig yourself in), and don’t try to turn out of it. Instead, steer your Orlando Toyota either forward or backward in a straight line. If you can’t seem to get any traction, use a piece of cardboard or something else hard under the back tires to give yourself a little grip to get up and go!
Don’t let sand or mud slow you down this summer!
Mud: Mud happens, especially in the summer when it’s rainy every day. Here are some Toyota of Orlando tips for driving on this type of terrain:
- Remember to close your windows. Mud sprays, and the last thing you want to do is get it in your interior cabin.
- Try to gauge how deep the mud is before you drive through it. If it’s over 2 inches deep, you might have issues with handling and performance, so tread carefully!
- Watch your speed. Driving too slowly will cause you to get stuck, but driving too quickly will cause your wheels to spin out and you’ll lose control. Find a happy medium!
- Try not to shift gears while you’re in mud, or steer too sharply. This may cause you to lose traction!
Want more tips or need to prep your new Toyota in Orlando? Call us today – we’re open seven days a week at (866) 945-0493!