Our great nation wasn’t built in weeks or months; the United States of America has been hundreds of years in the making. When pilgrims and settlers first ventured toward this land, they landed on the east coast. The east coast is where people first sought freedom. It’s where our government and democracy was established. It’s where America first became America! Because of this, there are dozens of cities along the coast that are home to rich history. This summer, take a road trip and learn about how the United States became what it is today!
Take the All-American road trip!
If you’re leaving Florida and heading up the east coast, there’s a lot to see! As you’re making your way up, make sure you’ve figured out where and what you want to see, because there’s so much! Toyota of Orlando has narrowed it down to some of the best historical states, cities, and sites!
The state of Virginia is home to a lot: settlements, cemeteries, and schools.
- Jamestown – known as the first established colony in the New World, Jamestown struggled to survive for the first couple of years. However, it thrived on the export of tobacco and found peace with the marriage of Pochontas and John Rolfe.
- Arlington – the Arlington National Cemetery is the resting place for hundreds of military men and women that gave their lives for our country. It also home to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
- The College of William and Mary – the second oldest college in America prides itself on a lot of firsts, including the first college to become a university.
While not a state, Washington D.C. is the capital of the country! It’s home to our government, our president, and a lot of our country’s history!
- White House – looking for the leader of the free world? More than likely, he’ll be here, sitting behind his desk in the Oval Office!
- Lincoln Memorial -Abraham Lincoln was the 16th president of the U.S. and is best known for ending slavery! In his memory, a giant statue was erected.
- Washington Monument – on the other end of the Lincoln Memorial is the Washington Monument. This structure is 555 feet tall and you can travel to the very top and see all of Washington D.C.!
And so much more!
- Gettysburg – Visit the exact site where Abraham Lincoln delivered his famous speech, the Gettysburg Address during the Civil War!
- Philadelphia – Home of the Liberty Bell, Benjamin Franklin, and the Declaration of Independence – the City of Brotherly Love has a lot of history to offer!
- Pilgrims – set your eyes on the site where the Mayflower first landed and where the first Thanksgiving took place.
- Boston – Learn about the Boston Tea Party and how Americans rebelled against taxation without representation!
See history throughout the east coast!
What are you waiting for? The summer is the perfect time to celebrate our great nation by taking a road trip! There’s a lot to explore and a lot to learn along the way! For more travel tips, follow our Toyota Travel Series blogs!