Getting your car serviced – for anything – can be frightening, at least for some people. A lot of drivers fear that their auto mechanics will try to lead them into unnecessary and costly services, so they dread bringing their cars in. However, the best way to give yourself more confidence when it comes to car maintenance is to learn how things work under the hood! Our Orlando Toyota service techs are here to help, and today they’re discussing the ins and outs of your car battery. Let’s get started!
Car battery basics from Toyota of Orlando
First, let’s talk about types of car batteries. Here are the main ones:
- Flooded or wet cell car battery – most common and most affordable
- Lithium Ion battery – more expensive, but also more efficient and long-lasting
- VRLA battery – rechargeable
Once you’ve talked to our Orlando car maintenance techs, you can figure out which car battery is right for your ride!
Now it’s time to talk about what your car battery actually does – basically, it provides the charge that you need to get things started. If your battery isn’t working, you won’t be going anywhere! That’s why it’s important to maintain it on a routine basis. Here are some tips for taking care of it from our Orlando auto service techs:
- Keep an eye on it – if you notice visual damage like swelling, cracking, rust, or leaks, then you need to bring it into Toyota of Orlando to have it examined by our techs!
- Use an insulator if you drive in extreme temperatures to help protect the battery
- Maintain the battery cables; don’t let them rust or fray or else they won’t transmit a charge properly
- Have it inspected at our Toyota service center in Orlando! The techs can check the voltage for you to ensure it’s working as it should.
- Replace it regularly – batteries are meant to last 3-5 years typically, but that depends on your driving habits and other factors. They don’t last forever!
Do you need to schedule auto service for this important car part?
How about signs that you need to replace this important Orlando auto part? Here are some dead giveaways that you need to bring your car in for service:
- Your car won’t start! This is the most common giveaway that your battery is either dead or almost dead. You’ll be able to jump start your car battery, but it won’t hold a charge permanently so it’ll have to be replaced.
- You’re having issues with your electrical components, like your radio, power seats, and windshield wipers. This indicates they’re not getting what they need in terms of juice from the car battery!
- You smell rotten eggs. This means the battery is bad, as some batteries will vent gas when they’re on their way out. Get it replaced ASAP!
- Your car will start, but it takes longer than usual and the crank is slow. You can get going, but it takes longer than it should and sometimes feels like your car won’t start. Schedule service at Toyota of Orlando!
Have more pro questions for our car service techs? Call us today at (866) 945-0493!