Hurricane season has officially arrived! Are you ready to take on the stormy season? It can be a lot of work – trust us, we know. We’ve been in the Central Florida area for over 20 years! However, the best way to be ready for anything and everything hurricane season might bring us is to prepare ahead of time… and that includes your car. That’s why our Orlando Toyota dealership is bringing you all the facts you need to take a proactive approach to what can be a stressful experience!
Learn the ins and outs of hurricanes
First, let’s take a look at some quick facts about hurricanes. Check it out:
- Hurricane season starts June 1 every year and ends November 30.
- Hurricanes are storms that have winds in excess of 74 mph – below that, they’re tropical storms.
- Hurricanes bring heavy rains, high winds, lightning, flooding, and storm surge.
- Category 1 hurricanes are the weakest, while category 5 are the strongest.
Now, on to the prep!
How can you prep your Orlando Toyota car for a hurricane?
How can you prepare your Orlando Toyota car for a hurricane? Whether you’re staying put to ride out the storm or getting out of town in an evacuation, here are some tips!
- If you’re leaving your car in town, try to find covered parking for it, in a garage or carport. If you can’t secure covered parking, make sure to park your Orlando Toyota car on high ground to avoid flood waters. You’ll also want to park it away from any hazards that may fall on it (like trees or lightpoles) and try to cover it with a tarp. A tarp will help protect your car from scratches and dings that might come from flying debris in the storm!
- Empty your new Orlando Toyota out – take out all of your valuables, as well as the important stuff in your glove box like insurance information, car registration, etc. You should also take pictures of your car pre-storm in case anything happens to it and you have to file an insurance claim. (And now might be the time to check with your Orlando Toyota’s insurance company to ensure they cover your car in the case of a storm!) You might also line your windows with duct tape – this can make cleanup easier if the glass ends up breaking.
- Whether you’re getting out of town or staying to ride things out, fill your car up with gas! Lines will be long at the stations and you never know how long the storm will take or the after effects. Also make sure your car is up to date on Orlando Toyota service like tires, brakes, and oil changes in case you need to evacuate.
- If you’re evacuating, know the way out of town (and an alternate route in case of traffic). Be sure to pack supplies, including clothing for you and your passengers, snacks and bottled water, phone chargers, a paper map, and any and all medications and important paperwork you need for you and your passengers!
Want more tips or need to get your car ready for a hurricane with Orlando Toyota service? Call us today at (866) 945-0493!