Are you thinking about towing your boat down to the lake this summer? Or maybe you’re hitching up the RV and getting out of town with the family. Perhaps you’re thinking about pulling your ATV out to Ocala National Forest for a little trail riding! No matter what you’re towing and where you’re headed, it’s essential to do it safely and efficiently. Toyota of Orlando is here with towing safety tips to help you hit the road with your favorite toys this summer!
Learn how to change your driving habits to integrate towing safety
You should always alter your drive time habits when you’re towing a load behind you; it’s a lot different than driving your Orlando Toyota normally! Here are some tips to utilize when you get behind the wheel and want to stick to towing safety.
- Slow down – you shouldn’t put the pedal to the metal when you’re towing something behind you!
- Remember to leave extra room for braking. This is an integral part of towing safety; you have more weight behind you, so you should leave extra room to come to a stop, especially if the weather is wet and the roads are slick.
- Be careful when turning. You’ll need to make turns wider when towing in your new Orlando Toyota to allow more room for your tow. Be sure to keep your eyes open!
- You should also keep your eyes open when you’re changing lanes. Remember, your vehicle is a lot longer with a tow attached to it, so you’ll need to allow for that so you don’t run into another vehicle.
Toyota of Orlando has tips for preparing your car to tow
However, altering your drive time habits isn’t the only necessary part of Orlando Toyota towing safety. Here are some more things to keep in mind when you’re thinking about hitching up and hitting the road:
- Make sure you know the weight that your car, truck, or SUV can handle. Trying to pull too much weight can damage both your engine and the frame of your car, which means expensive repairs. Check your owner’s manual and make sure your ride can handle the weight before you hit the highway!
- Use the right tools to tow. Gone are the days when you could just hook your tow up to the bumper with a chain or rope – this can seriously damage your ride! Use a tow hitch, receiver, and other elements necessary to having a safe and efficient towing experience. Our Toyota parts store can help you find the right parts for your particular car!
- Keep up with car maintenance! Towing is hard work for any vehicle, and the heavier you pull or the longer you drive, the more strain you’re putting on the engine. You can bring your vehicle to our Toyota Service Center in Orlando to have it inspected for towing safety, and we’ll keep you on a service schedule so you’re ready to take to the highway whenever!
Want more tips? Need a new Toyota that can tow? Or just want to schedule auto service? Call us today at (888) 725-3520 – we’re open seven days a week for your convenience!