OK, we know – we’re a car dealership. However, Mr. Toyota IS our mascot, and he IS a dog. We love four-legged friends here at our Orlando Toyota dealership; we’re a dog-friendly business (so bring Fido next time you’re shopping for a new ride or need an oil change). We also work with local pet rescue Save A Life, which is a non-profit rescue that rescues, rehabilitates, and rehomes dogs and cats in need of love. We teamed up with the recently to gather a list of tips to keep your pets safe as things heat up!
Our Orlando Toyota dealership and Save A Life have tips for you!
First, let’s talk about some Orlando Toyota heat safety tips:
- Never leave your pet in the car alone. Ever! Even if you leave the air-conditioning on, they should be supervised. Turning the air-conditioning off can be deadly; the greenhouse effect causes temperatures to rise quickly inside the car, which can lead to heatstroke, shock, and even death. Always plan to take your pets with you at your final destination, or leave them at home where they can be safe!
- Don’t walk your pet on hot pavement. Asphalt can burn their paws, so be sure to try and walk them when it’s cooler out and stick to light-colored sidewalks and grass to protect their feet. You should also avoid walking them when it’s very hot out, and avoid strenuous outdoor activity when the temperatures are high.
- Keep them hydrated, just like you! Always make sure your pet has plenty of clean, cold water during the hot summer months.
Keep your pets safe when the weather heats up
Thinking about taking your four-legged friends along for the ride this summer? Check out these Orlando Toyota safety tips:
- Buckle your pet up. It’s dangerous to have them wandering your Orlando Toyota while you’re in motion; not only can they impede your driving, they can also be seriously injured if you get into an accident. Be sure to buckle them up with a harness, or keep them contained with a pet barrier or traveling crate.
- Keep them calm. If your pet doesn’t handle car rides well, try to keep it short and sweet when you take them along. If you have to take them along for a longer ride, our Orlando Toyota dealership recommends talking to your veterinarian about ways to keep them calm – they should have suggestions for you!
- Be sure to treat your pet like a human – stop for potty breaks (always keeping them on a leash), bring snacks and water for them, and don’t feed them a heavy meal before you leave as their stomachs may become upset by the motion of your car.
- If your pet starts to become anxious in the back of your car, ALWAYS pull over before addressing them. You should bring your vehicle to a safe stop before trying to do anything else to avoid an accident!
Want more tips straight from the dog’s mouth? Call Mr. Toyota today at our Orlando Toyota dealership! We’re open seven days a week at (888) 725-3520. We look forward to seeing you and your furry friends this summer!