Happy Cinco de Mayo, friends! Tonight is a big night – whether you’re heading out to get your fill of tacos or looking to sample Orlando’s finest tequila, there’s bound to be a ton of people out on the road. That means that employing safe driving habits is especially important, as many intoxicated drivers will be (unfortunately) hitting the road alongside you. Our Orlando Toyota dealership has tips on how to deal and how to best handle busy roads this Cinco de Mayo – let’s get started!
Plan for a designated driver before you even pull your Orlando Toyota out of the driveway
First, plan ahead. Even if you don’t know exactly where you’re headed, you should plan for a designated driver if you’re even going to have one drink. It’s NEVER OK to get behind the wheel of your Orlando Toyota if you’ve consumed alcohol. Pick a designated driver among your friends, plan for a cab, or order and Uber. Just find a safe way home. Remember, you’re not just putting yourself at risk when you drive drunk – you’re also putting other innocent people out on the road in danger.
Next, use defensive driving – we have Orlando Toyota tips. Defensive driving basically means staying on your game when you’re behind the wheel. Do away with distractions and pay attention to the road, and be sure to follow all the rules of the road (like stopping completely at stop signs and using your turn signals). Be especially observant if you’re driving in urban areas with pedestrian traffic, and be on the lookout for revelers who may be crossing the street outside of the crosswalks!
Learn how to spot a drunk driver and what to do when you see one!
You should also know how to recognize drunk drivers when you’re behind the wheel of your new Orlando Toyota. This way, you can report them to the authorities and also get out of their way. Here are some signs you’re sharing the road with an intoxicated driver:
- Their headlights are off
- They’re on the wrong side of the road or swerving over the lane markers
- They’re making abrupt, jerky movements, like accelerating, decelerating, and turning without warning. Also be aware of drivers who are not using their turn signals properly!
- They’re almost running into curbs and other objects on the road, as well as weaving and drifting on the road
- They’re stopping or braking for no apparent reason
- They’re speeding excessively or conversely, driving more than 10mph under the speed limit
- They’re tailgating you or someone else
So, if you’re hitting the road in your Orlando Toyota and you spot a drunk driver, what should you do? We have some tips for you:
- Call the police. It’s important to report the drunk driver as quickly as possible so the authorities can locate and stop them before they hurt someone or themselves.
- Take note of details of the car – try to remember the color, make and model, and license plate number if you can so you can give the info to the police. You also want to note the exact location of the car and where they are headed.
- DO NOT try to pass them! This can result in a collision, so do your best to hang back and stay out of the way until the authorities arrive.
Stay safe tonight – we hope our Orlando Toyota safety tips help! And Happy Cinco de Mayo!