Buying a new car is pretty exciting – you get a new ride and a stylish and reliable new way to get around town! However, there are certain things you have to take care of before you can put your new Orlando Toyota in your driveway. One of the big ones is car insurance, and we’re here to explain the ins and outs so you have a better handle on exactly what it is and why you need it. Toyota of Orlando is here to help, and here are some of the biggest things you need to know while insuring your ride!
Know the basics when it comes to car insurance!
- You have to have car insurance for your new Toyota in Orlando. It’s the law! The amount of coverage you need varies from state to state and also whether you lease or purchase, but bottom line, your car has to be insured before you hit the road.
- You can shop around for a car insurance policy! Don’t feel like you have to go with the first company you land on in your search results. Our Orlando Toyota finance specialists can help you find the best coverage and the best company for your drive time needs!
- Other people who drive your car are covered by your policy! As long as the driver – say, your sister – has a valid driver’s license and also has your permission to drive your new Toyota in Orlando, she’s covered by your policy. However, your insurance policy doesn’t cover YOU if you drive someone else’s ride. The insurance technically goes with the vehicle, not the driver!
- Don’t forget to renew your policy! Remember, it’s illegal to not have car insurance when you’re behind the wheel of your car. Most companies will send you reminders and even give you a grace period of up to a week if you forget, but after that you’ll have to pay big bucks to get it reinstated. Don’t forget – mark it on your calendar!
- Tickets, violations, and accidents DO stay on your car insurance record for a certain amount of time. Traffic tickets are usually on there for about three years, while other more serious violations (like a SUI) are there for five years or more. Accidents are typically there for three to five years, depending on the insurance carrier.
Toyota of Orlando can help you choose coverage!
- Make sure you update your car insurance policy if you plan to have others regularly drive your new Toyota, like a new spouse or a teen driver. All you have to do is call your carrier and update your policy – you shouldn’t have to cancel it and start a new one!
- Your rates will be affected by the car you choose! Insurers will look at factors like price, age, value, body type and size, engine size, safety features, and safety ratings.
Want more info about car insurance, or want to have our finance specialists give you a hand in choosing coverage? Call us today to set up an appointment at (888) 725-3520!