Hurricane season is drawing near, Orlando Toyota drivers! It officially kicks off June 1 and runs all the way through November 30, which means there’s six whole months for bad weather to hit our normally sunshiney state. However, there are ways to prep your new Toyota whether you plan on evacuating in the event of a hurricane or staying put, and we’re here to talk you through the process! Toyota of Orlando has hurricane prep tips to get you ready for the summer… let’s get started!
Prep your Orlando Toyota car for a storm
If you’re staying put
If you plan on riding out the storm at home, you need to prep your Orlando Toyota accordingly. It’s important to get your car ready for an impending hurricane to minimize the damage to your vehicle! Before you do anything, remember to take extensive pictures of your car – you can use these if you do end up needing to fix your vehicle through insurance due to hurricane damage. Here are some more tips:
- Fill the tank with gas before you move your vehicle anywhere so you’re ready to take action after the storm!
- Try to find covered parking; preferably a garage or parking garage, but even a carport will lend some protection in a bad hurricane.
- If you can’t park your Orlando Toyota car under cover, be sure to remember two things: 1) Park it on high ground just in case flooding occurs – water damage can be very costly to fix! 2) Park it away from telephone poles, trees, and anything else that could fall on it during the storm.
- Try to cover your new Toyota with a tarp if you can – this will help minimize dings and scratches from flying debris. However, tie it down tight so the wind doesn’t rip it off. Also, remember to put your antenna down and remove anything valuable from the car!
Evacuate safely in the event of a hurricane!
If you’re evacuating
Hitting the road in your Orlando Toyota to get out of the storm’s path? Here are some tips to make it less stressful:
- Keep your car up to date with its routine maintenance – stay on top of your Orlando Toyota Service appointments!
- Make sure you fill up your tank with gas before you hit the road – don’t wait until you’re on your way and lines at the gas stations are miles long!
- Be sure to pack a go bag for everyone before you evacuate for a hurricane. You’ll need a few changes of clothes, all medicines, toiletries, and food/bottled water. Don’t forget about your furry friends, either! You’ll also want to pack things like extra phone chargers, flashlights, and a paper map in case cellular data goes out.
- Bring along an emergency car kit, too – this handy tool will contain things like jumper cables, a spare tire, and any other tools you might need in event of a breakdown or emergency!
Have questions or need to schedule Toyota Service for your routine car maintenance? Call us today – you can reach our auto service center at (866) 945-0493!