Driving on the highway can be a super stressful experience (have you ever been on I-4 in rush hour? Talk about nerve-wracking.). However, one of the most stressful parts of getting on the highway is merging into traffic! Toyota of Orlando is here to share driving tips with you on how to safely merge into traffic, as well as how to handle heavy highway traffic and put your defensive driving skills to use. Let’s get started – you can use these tips on your afternoon commute home today!
Orlando Toyota driving tips for merging into highway traffic
Let’s talk about our Orlando Toyota driving tips when it comes to merging into traffic. Merging is the act of making your way onto the highway and joining the flow of traffic without being disruptive or causing an accident. It’s easier said than done – even if you always follow the rules of the road, it doesn’t mean other drivers will! Here are some driving tips when it comes to how to merge:
- Use the on ramp to accelerate. You don’t want to go too slow, or you’ll disrupt the flow of traffic when you merge. You also, however, don’t want to go too fast, because you’ll run out of room if you can’t locate a gap in traffic! Try to move with the flow of traffic on the highway.
- BE ALERT. This is not the time to be texting, changing the radio station, or talking to passengers in the car. You need to be paying attention to three things – the flow of traffic on the highway (so you can find a gap to merge), the car in front of you (in case they hit their brakes), and the cars behind you (in case you have to hit YOUR brakes). Be sure to leave enough space in between your car and the cars behind and in front of you to avoid a collision. Our Orlando Toyota dealership recommends giving this your undivided attention!
- Use your turn signal! Other drivers should know you’re trying to merge anyway, but remind them anyway. This driving tip can help save you a lot of headache as you try to get on the highway in your Orlando Toyota!
- Pay attention to the cars already on the highway. Unfortunately, you don’t have the right of way when you’re merging. This means even if someone is being a jerk and won’t let you get over, you’re responsible for safely finding your way into the flow of traffic!
Toyota of Orlando shares driving tips for heavy highway traffic
Here are some other driving tips for driving in heavy highway traffic:
- Do away with distractions
- Leave distance around your car and scan the road constantly so you notice an impending collision BEFORE it happens
- No texting or using your phone! Use your Bluetooth technology to make calls or have a passenger text for you.
- Pay attention to road signs so you can safely exit with plenty of space
- Follow the speed limit, and avoid hard braking or acceleration!
Want more Orlando Toyota driving tips? Give us a shout today at (888) 725-3520!