Hurricane season is upon us! We managed to skate by without seeing much activity from the last tropical storm, but that doesn’t mean more aren’t on the way… and we see nasty afternoon thunderstorms nearly every day in the summer. Do you know how to handle your new Orlando Toyota when high winds hit the road? We’re here to help! We’ve got tons of tips on how to handle your new Toyota when the weather turns bad – read on before heading out in unpleasant weather!
Tackle high winds like a pro with Toyota of Orlando
- First things first: you should definitely devote all of your attention to what’s going on around your new Toyota in Orlando, and focus on driving! It helps if you put both hands on the steering wheel – not only will it force you to focus more, you’ll also have more control should a sharp gust of wind hit your car and force it to the side. Keep your hands at ten and two to maintain control at all times!
- You should also slow the speed of your new Toyota in Central Florida when driving in high winds. You’ll probably want to put the pedal to the metal to get where you’re going faster and get OUT of the bad weather, but mixing high speeds with high winds can lead to a bad accident. When driving in rain or bad weather it’s perfectly acceptable to go below the speed limit – just be sure to stick to the right lane to let other drivers get around you if they want.
- Speaking of other cars, be sure to put plenty of space in between them and your new Orlando Toyota! If a sharp gust of wind does hit you and force you into the other lane, you want to make sure you’re not going to run into another vehicle and cause an accident.
- You should also be mindful of the larger vehicles on the road, like trucks or tractor trailers. Bigger vehicles have more surface area for the wind to hit, so it makes them more likely to sway or be pushed out of their lane in high winds. Keep your car well clear of big vehicles on the road!
- Make sure you watch out for debris on the road! Wind can throw all sorts of stuff into your path, and you don’t want to risk running into it or running OVER it. DO NOT try to run over debris in the road, thinking your car can clear it. You can cause big time and expensive damage to your new Toyota without even meaning to, so just avoid the debris on the road altogether.
Get incredible safety features in your new Toyota!
Your Orlando Toyota also has a ton of safety features that can help you take on unsafe driving conditions – check out features like the Toyota Star Safety System, which features both vehicle stability control and traction control!
Come on down to Toyota of Orlando to get into the right ride for ALL driving conditions – we’re open all weekend! Give us a call (888) 725-3520!