When you hit the road, there’s always the chance that a mishap will occur. Whether it’s from bad weather, negligent drivers, or just bad luck, accidents do happen, and they can definitely put a damper on your day! One way to try and better prevent accidents when you take your new Toyota in Orlando out on the highway is to learn a little bit about defensive driving… which is where our Toyota dealership in Central Florida comes in!
Why should you drive defensively in your Toyota in Central Florida?
Defensive driving is an important tool to have in your toolbox whenever you hop behind the wheel of your new Toyota in Central Florida – it allows you to proactively prepare for accidents and mishaps before they happen by being ultra-aware. We’ve listed out the things you need to think about when you get behind the wheel – let’s get started!
How to use defensive driving in your new Toyota
- The first thing you need to do whenever you get into the driver’s seat of your new Toyota is to get rid of any and all distractions. Put away your phone and your iPod (texting while driving is just as dangerous as driving while intoxicated), make sure the kids are occupied in the backseat, and focus on the task at hand. If you find it necessary to make a phone call while you’re behind the wheel, then you can take advantage of the Bluetooth wireless technology that almost all of our Toyota in Central Florida offer – you can take phone calls hands-free!
- You should also be sure to follow the four-second rule when you’re behind the wheel of your new Toyota. Here’s how it works – you watch the car in front of you and see when it aligns with a stationary object, like a road sign. Then start counting – if you reach that same sign before you count to four, then you’re too close to the car in front of you and need to add some distance!
- Be focused on what you’re doing. This means you need to be 100% present, so if you’re sleepy, consider taking a nap before you hit the road. You should also enforce a zero tolerance rule whenever you drive your Toyota in Central Florida – never get behind the wheel if you’re been consuming alcoholic beverages.
- Follow all the rules of driving! This means obeying the speed limit, leaving enough distance between you and the cars around you, using your turn signals, ensuring your headlights and taillights are in working condition, and slowing down to maneuver your vehicle.
- You should also think about an escape route, as dire as that seems. What would happen if the car in front of you came to a sudden stop? Make sure you never block yourself in and allow yourself a way to avoid an accident if possible.
- Be aware of the cars around you – just because you’re following the rules of the road doesn’t mean they are. Also keep your eyes peeled for pedestrians, motorcycles, animals crossing the road, and bicyclists!
Want more tips or to see if a new Toyota in Central Florida is suited to your needs? Come on down today – we’re open seven days a week, and you can contact us at (888) 725-3520 today!