If you’re searching for a fun activity to do this weekend, you’re in the right city! As you may know, Orlando is FILLED with tons of activities waiting to be experienced. We are lucky to be part of such a large city that gives its citizens so many options when it comes to fun and entertainment! If you are in the mood to groove to live music, ride amazing rides, and be a part of a large celebration, head on over to Universal Studios and enjoy their Mardi Gras celebration!
A little bit about Mardi Gras…
Before we go ahead and tell you what you should expect out of Universal’s Mardi Gras, you should know what this celebration’s all about.
- Mardi Gras literally means “Fat Tuesday.” The reason why this celebration is known by this name is because it marks the celebration before Ash Wednesday and the start of the Lenten season. Mardi Gras usually starts on January 6 (the Epiphany) and culminate the day before Ash Wednesday. The name reflects the fact that people usually don’t eat rich foods during the Lent season, so they eat all of those foods before the season starts.
- Traditions include wearing costumes and masks to celebrate the pre-Lent season. People generally deck themselves out with purple, green, gold and white clothes, which are the traditional Mardi Gras colors.
- Mardi Gras arrived to the good ol’ U.S. of A. by way of French explorers. Ever since the late seventeenth century, different cities across the nation have held a Mardi Gras celebration of some sort. The most famous is the infamous New Orleans Mardi Gras celebration. People flock to the port city to celebrate in the French Quarter, which we think is only appropriate!
Universal Mardi Gras promises great fun!
Now, we know Mardi Gras is technically over, but Universal Studios Florida is still in celebration mode and that’s more than OK with us! What should you expect from the celebrations? We’re glad you asked because we’ve got the scoop!
- Expect exciting parades from this awesome celebration! Catch beads, see amazing floats, and dance to lively music during these parades! Also nom on beyond delicious authentic Cajun food! Yum!
- Don’t think we forgot about the AMAZING concerts this annual celebration has in store for us this year! Awesome acts such as Foreigner, A Great Big World, Gavin Degraw, Weezer, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kool & the Gang, Huey Lewis and the News, and Robin Thicke among others will be a part of the celebration this year! Make sure you boogie your heart out while listening to the tunes!
- Once the celebration ends at the park, Universal’s CityWalk will welcome you until 2 am, so the party doesn’t have to end early!
Here at Toyota of Orlando, we’re super pumped for this celebratory event and we hope you’ll make your way to one of the concerts. We’re positive you’ll have a blast! Our Toyota dealer in Orlando is located at 3575 Vineland Road and we can be reached at 888-725-3520! Call us with any questions you may have about any new Toyota!