If you’re a fan of super-sporty cars that don’t break the bank, then you definitely should keep an eye on our used car inventory here at Toyota of Orlando – we sometimes see the Toyota Celica join our lineup, and this popular sports car is an exceptional option for drivers who want a little excitement in their life! This iconic Toyota in Orlando had a 30+ year reign and still remains a popular sports car choice to this day. However, what makes it such an incredible car? We’re taking a look back at its history so we can figure out just that!
Orlando Toyota Celica still a popular ride to this day
The Orlando Toyota Celica was first introduced to the market back in 1973. The first model was dubbed the ST and was definitely one of the sportiest new Toyota options that drivers had seen in a while! Not only did it offer a fuel-efficient performance an a super-affordable price tag, it also boasted appearance features like hood vents for a more aggressive look, as well as radial tires and a cool tachometer on the interior. Here are a few more highlights from the rich history of this incredible Toyota sports car:
- 1974 brought a new model into the picture; you could now pick up the Orlando Toyota Celica in the GT model, which was a little bit more powerful with a 2.0L engine. It was also packing a 5-speed transmission, which was a big deal – the only other cars that typically had this feature were expensive luxury cars!
- In 1976 this car was already making a splash among drivers – it won the Motor Trend Import Car of the Year Award. 1976 was also the year that the design was tweaked to provide drivers with a convenient liftback design!
- In 1978 the Toyota Celica was redesigned in order to make things roomier and more comfortable on the interior; more headroom and shoulder room were integrated into the design, as well as extra lumbar support in the seats. You’d also find the option of power steering up for grabs, and this was also the year that much of the design of this best-selling sports car was shifted to a company right here in the US in Newport Beach, CA!
- 1985 brought a whole new level of excitement to this Toyota’s drive time – this was the first year that a convertible version was introduced to the market!
- In 1988, you could find a turbo-charged model of the popular sports car – it had a turbo-charged 4-cylinder twin-cam 2.0L engine under the hood (in other words, vroom). It produced up to 190 horsepower without breaking a sweat!
- In 2001, a new Action Package that enhanced appearance was brought into the limelight, followed by a subsequent package in 2004. They offered appearance enhancements like a rear wing, fog lights, side rocker panels, and even a slick red leather interior!
Check out our used Toyota selection today!
Unfortunately, Toyota decided to stop production of this iconic car in 2005, citing increased competition AND the introduction of the new Scion tC into the picture as its reason to sit the Toyota Celica on the bench. However (and luckily for you), we still see used models of this incredible car on our lot and can help you find the perfect model for all of your drive time needs! Give us a shout at Toyota of Orlando – you can reach us at (888) 725-3520!