While some of us spend our days commuting on city and suburban streets here in Central Florida, some of us find ourselves hitting the highway for our daily drive time! At Toyota of Orlando, we’re well aware that these two types of driving are significantly different (especially when it comes to first-time drivers who are still learning the ropes). That’s why we sat down with our knowledgeable sales associates and came up with a list of tips on how you should safely maneuver your new Toyota in Orlando on the highway!
Take on the highways in your new Toyota!
- First things first – you should always concentrate on the task at hand when you’re behind the wheel of your new Toyota in Orlando, no matter what type of road you’re tackling. However, this is especially true on the highway! Faster speeds, traffic, weather – all of these combined can make your driving conditions a little trickier, so be sure you’re completely focused on your job. Put away the cell phones, don’t fiddle with the radio, and try to avoid any other distractions in the car!
- You don’t want to slam on the gas in your new Toyota when you’re taking on the on-ramp; you should pay attention to the flow of the cars already on the highway so you can seamlessly merge into traffic. Conversely, you also don’t want to drive too slowly on the on-ramp, as you’ll impede the merging of not only you, but also the cars behind you. When you hit the highway, you should be going close to the speed of the vehicles already on it.
- When you do merge, be sure you check all around you – including your blind spot. This is actually true for all of your drive-time on the highway! Never trust the mirrors alone in your new Toyota in Orlando; you should physically look to ensure your path is clear when you change lanes or pass another vehicle.
- Learn how to use the cruise control feature in your new Toyota effectively! It can help you save gas, up fuel efficiency, and also maintain your sanity on those especially long drives. However, you should know WHEN to use it – you shouldn’t ever choose to utilize cruise control in heavy traffic or stop-and-go conditions. The best time to use it is when you have a steady flow of light traffic that’s maintaining the speed limit. Also, just because you’re using cruise control doesn’t mean you can go on auto-pilot – you still need to be aware of the cars around you and make sure you react accordingly to them!
- When it’s time to take the off-ramp, be sure to give yourself plenty of time to make the exit! Use your blinker to indicate your actions to the cars around you and start to slow as soon as you hit the off-ramp lane – chances are there will be a stoplight at the end of it, and you don’t want to be cruising at highway speeds when you come upon it! Make sure you pay attention to the vehicles around you as this is a spot where some drivers might make last-minute decisions to hop off the highway!
Visit Toyota of Orlando today!
Those are just a few tips from us on how you can handle your new Toyota in Orlando when you take on I-4, 417, 408, or any of the other major highways in Central Florida (or anywhere!). If you’d like to learn more or check out our selection of cars, come on down to our Orlando Toyota dealership today! We’re just off I-4 near the Millenia Mall, so you can put these tips to good use!